In 2024, traditional tracking tactics like third-party cookies are taking the backseat with the Digital Markets Act coming into force in March 2024.
How can you reach your most valuable customers using Google’s ad platforms after Chrome plans to deprecate third-party cookies? Forget outdated methods; let’s navigate the changing landscape and reach your ideal audience, privacy-first.
Here’s all you need to know to crack the code for success in 2024 and beyond!
Remarketing Without Third-Party Cookies
Can advertisers still attract past visitors without third-party cookies?
Yes, but it’ll be different. Instead of tracking everyone, Google will help you focus on who your existing customers are and use that data to reach more people.
- Use your customer data: You can show ads to your existing customers on Google products like Search, YouTube, and Shopping.
- Privacy comes first: Google’s building new tools that respect people’s privacy while still letting you reach your customers.
- AI helps target the right people: Google AI will use your data to find people similar to your customers, so you can reach new potential buyers.
Remember, the focus is shifting from tracking everyone to building relationships with your own customers. So start collecting and using that data.
Protected Audience API
How will the Protected Audience API work in Google’s ad platforms?
Imagine the API as a secure vault inside your website visitor’s browser. You can put visitors into different sections of the vault based on where they've been on your site (like product pages). Now, instead of using third-party cookies, Google will use special tools to unlock the right section of the vault when an ad needs to be shown.
Here’s why it’s privacy-friendly:
- Minimum guest list: Only a certain number of visitors can be in each section (no overflowing parties!).
- Short stays: Visitors don’t get stuck in the vault forever, their membership expires after a while.
- No creepy tracking: There’s no sneaky peeking through windows or taking fingerprints, only clean unlocks based on website visits.
You can still target ads to relevant people who visited your site, but in a way that respects their privacy.
Will you need to learn an all new way to build audience lists?
No, you won’t need to learn a whole new way to build audience lists. Google’s doing the hard work behind the scenes!
Think of it like this: you used to hand your keys to a bunch of third-party cookie monsters so they could track people on your website. Now, you’re getting a secure vault within your own website where you can organise visitors based on their browsing. Google built the vault and manages the keys, so you can still target ads to the right people without needing those messy cookies.
You’ll still use the same platforms like Google Ads and Analytics to build and use your audience lists.
The New Audience Approach
How will the new audience approach might affect your ad performance?
The good news: Google AI is here to help! While the new way of tracking website visitors might mean some changes, there are powerful tools you can use to keep your performance strong.
The potential challenges: Less tracking data: Without third-party cookies, re-engagement campaigns might reach fewer people or be less precise.
The AI-powered solutions to the rescue:
- Smart Bidding: This brainy tool uses tons of data to predict who’s most likely to buy, helping you get the most out of your budget.
- Optimised Targeting: This smart assistant finds more potential customers similar to your existing ones, expanding your reach. On average, it boosts conversions by 50%!
- Performance Max: This all-in-one champ optimises your ads across different channels, giving you more conversions for the same or less money. In fact, it typically increases conversions by over 20%.
So, while things might be a bit different, Google AI has your back. You can still reach the right people and achieve your goals, even without third-party cookies.
Key Steps For Re-Engagement Strategy
What are the steps you need to take to prepare your re-engagement strategy?
Here are key steps you should take in order to protect the results of your audience re-engagement strategy:
Adopt AI-powered solutions such as Optimised Targeting and Smart Bidding to help you continue delivering relevant ads to people who are most likely to convert.
If you already use Optimised Targeting and Smart Bidding in Google Ads, you may be eligible to upgrade your Display campaigns to Performance Max.
Or if you’re a Display & Video 360 customer, you can make the most of Google AI’s power by opting into the Enhanced Automation Pool.
Finally, don’t forget about foundational solutions and adopt the Google tag according to your platform's best practices. This will ensure your existing audience lists will continue to work after third-party cookies go away.
Need more help? We’re the experts! We are helping advertisers overcome privacy challenges in 2024.
At 360 OM, we specialise in helping businesses take their marketing efforts to the next level. Our team stays on top of industry trends, uses data-informed decisions to maximise your ROI, and provides full transparency through comprehensive reports.